These are both of our Ancillary tasks, the first one is the Magazine cover for the main product and the second one is the DVD cover for the main product.
When preparing for filming of the main product we wanted student to be aware that there was filming in progress in case they were not informed during registration where we asked all teachers to read out the note that we had put in their registers. We put the poster which says ‘Attention’ on all of the doors that lead to the zone which was where we were filming, we also put them on some tables just in case. We made a sheet with instructions which the students could follow, the instructions just told the students to act normal if the camera was facing them and just do what they normally do like eating their lunch and talk to their friends. At the bottom of the sheet we left some lines for students that took part to write down theirs names so we knew exactly who was in it and also for legal reason.
The first link within the ancillary products and the main product is having the same models on all of them. This allows us to create a link with all three products and will allow the audience to recognise our product more. We wanted to make our main product as realistic as we can and we convey this by making it relatable to our target audience by having it in a school cafeteria. Both the ancillary products link together as all the models appears to be on the front cover.
Another thing that we really thought about was the colour scheme; we wanted to represent the school in some type of way so we decided to have the students wear the school uniform in the main product which represents the school colours, in both the ancillary product we had the background colours being the same colour as the school colours and the main school colour is dark and light blue.
The last link within the ancillary products would be the logo that we created; we wanted the logo to be something playful and colourful because of our target audience as we want them to recognise the logo everywhere they go. Our logo is ‘Shetland way’ written in black and we wanted to link it to the school theme so we had the ‘t’ in ‘Shetland’ being a blue tie so that it linked to the school colours and also the school uniform has a tie.
Altogether the brand identity in the main products and the ancillary tasks link together well.
Chloe and I decided to change the name of the magazine from ‘bits&bobs’ to ‘mist’ due to the target audience of our magazine cover, at first we didn’t really think about the target audience as at first we made our target audience ‘5-10’ and then we realised that that’s too young so we made it into an older audience and this is what made us decide to change the name of the magazine that sound much older and will attract an older audience.
Here is the roles chart for what Chloe and I have done so far and what we will be doing in the future.